Saturday, 4 July 2009

Well-behaved foxes

Just recently, on my blogoversary posting, I showed you some photos of a family of foxes which we saw on the railway bank, beyond the garden fence. The photos were really just record shots, and I was really hoping to see them again and get some better footage/photos. Well, we were in luck as we saw the following unfold in the garden yesterday morning...




Yep, at about 7:45, we saw an adult fox visit the garden in full view from us in the house. It had jumped over the fence at the end of the garden and trotted down the garden path. Thankfully, my camera was already on my tripod next to me, and I took one photo and one video. It was so well-behaved that it even took a drink from our new pond. I was expecting to see the odd frog visit the pond, not a fox drinking from it in broad daylight.

After taking a drink, it had a wander around the swing and looked inside the new fenced-off wildlife area. Unfortunately, my camera ran out of memory card space just at the wrong moment, and cut out halfway through the clip. The fox stayed for another 30 seconds or so, before running back down the garden and jumping the fence again. So, no cubs this time, but I was still thrilled to see the adult fox as I got up in the morning.


Whilst the video is slightly blurry after being uploaded, I was still really chuffed to get such close-up images of it. If you remember, the last photos I got of the foxes weren't great because of the poor light conditions, but I certainly didn't have that problem yesterday morning. I hope you like the still photo too. Its still not the greatest, but probably the best I'm ever going to get.


After watching the video a couple of times and looking at the photo, I noticed that the fox isn't very big and has blackish fur in some places. I wondered if this was actually an adult at all, or whether it is an older cub (from last year maybe). Either that, or its just an adult who isn't eating enough to stay healthy. This could be why it visited our garden- to look for any food scraps available.

I wonder if these foxes visit at night too. The fox did seem to go straight for the pond, as if had visited it a few times before. Obviously, its hard to tell if they have visited, but occaisionally, we get muddy footprints appearing around the garden in the winter. I suppose our two pet rabbits are probably a bit of a target for the foxes, especially in the winter when less food is around.

It is great to see that foxes appear to be doing well in sub-urban environments like ours, and there are certainly plenty of them around. Maybe an infra-red night camera would help to show us what happens in the garden at night.

Sorry about the slight lack of postings just recently. In the summer holidays (only a couple of weeks away now) I hope to post more often. I look forward to reading all your blogs too as the warm summer continues.

14 comments:

Midmarsh John said...

A great piece of video Joe. The way the fox squatted after drinking makes me wonder if it is a vixen. Maybe marking its territory. Do foxes behave the same as dogs in this respect I wonder?
I know there have been foxes in this area before they built a couple of estates in the village but I haven't seen one for years.

Joe said...

Hi John,

Thank you, glad you enjoyed the video, and hopefully I can show you some more soon. You are probably right about the squatting thing. They do act very much like dogs in other ways, so I really wouldn't be surprised if this is a vixen.

Hopefully, you will see some more near you in the future.

Liz said...

My intitial reaction is that it's a juvenile too, it doesn't look very mature and has that lanky all arms and legs look until it's bulked up a bit.

I've had one looking very similar in the gardens recently, also scent marking, but there's nothing stopping a juvenile from marking as it begins to mature.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What luck to have your camera ready. Great video.

Joe said...

Hi Liz, Lisa, Laura and Angie:

Liz- Thanks for the comment. Yes, I think you are right. The fox definitely looks like a juvenile. Thanks for the info on that.

-----------------------------------

Lisa- Hi and thanks for that. Yep, it was VERY lucky to find my camera next to me when the fox was out. Usually, my camera would be no-where near me in that kind of situation!

-----------------------------------

Laura- Thanks, yes, I completely agree with you that it looks very much like a dog. They appear to be very similar creatures. Glad you enjoyed the video.

-----------------------------------

Angie- Thanks for visiting and for the comment. Glad you enjoyed the vid.

Anonymous said...

Great piece of video
I hope one day to be able to acquire a video camera too
We have foxes in our garden from time to time
They will visit at any time of the day as long as it's quiet. They don't see too well but rely on their ears and nose
Yours looks like a young vixen and yes they do have the same traits as dogs.

Anonymous said...

I would give a great deal to have them here where I live. They are "out there" making do with less and less space each year. It is so nice to see this youngster taking care of himself. His head is bigger than his body so he has some catching up to do. You are so lucky. But some people kill them just because they try to find something to feed themselves and their babies. Most folks forget that this was their world for thousands of years before we took it over. Anyway. I am pleased as punch to see this post.

ShySongbird said...

What a great post Joe! I loved the video, how inquisitive the fox looked. As I think I said on your other fox posting, we used to have night visits from them in our garden until neighbours complained to the council about them visiting their garden and something was 'done'! I always knew when they had been as I could smell them, the smell was the only thing I didn't like!

Ginnymo said...

Hi Joe,
Great little video clip you got of the Gray Fox. It is a young one, maybe about 5 or six months old by the looks of it. Mine are just beginning to come out of the woods and are about 3 months old. Maybe 4. They are so cute. I can't wait to really get some good video of them. I have two pair of adults and so far just two pups. They are out all day long here and at night.They are nocturnal mostly but if there's food or water around they will be out during the day. Mine love the nuts that I throw out for the squirrels and I buy them special doggie treats. Which I shouldn't do.
I hope you get to see the fox more and more. By the way, I do agree with your other commentors. It appears to be a female.

Jayne said...

Wow, lucky you Joe! He's beautiful, but does look sort of young, doesn't he? Great video and photo!

Joe said...

Hi Professor Yaffle, Abe, Shysongbird, Ginnymo and Jayne:

Professor Yaffle- Thanks for visiting and for the comment. Great to hear that you also get foxes in your garden from time to time. There are definitely quite a few around now. Yes, I agree, they do have the same traits as dogs. I suppose that the only difference really is that foxes are wild and have to find their own food.

BTW, I only use my digital camera for my videos, and that seems to work ok for me at the moment. I might buy a video camera in the future though.

-----------------------------------

Abe- Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed the video. Yes, I was so lucky to see it, and I don't think I will ever get such clear views again.

The railway bank is such a great habitat for them at the moment here. I just hope they don't clear the vegetation, as that would really destroy their habitat.

Thanks again

-----------------------------------

Shysongbird- Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed this posting. Its great to be able to share the video with you.

Its a shame about the foxes around your area. Hopefully you will see them come back in the future. Thanks again.

-----------------------------------

Ginnymo- Thanks for the comment, good to hear that you enjoyed this posting. Its really not often that you see a fox so well in an environment like ours.

I really look forward to seeing your fox videos in the future. Good luck to the cubs.

-----------------------------------

Jayne- Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed the video.

JRandSue said...

Hi Joe.Nice shoot some great Images.
Foxes know when good people mean them no harm.
Great stuff.
John.

Ann said...

Was thrilled to see that wonderful video of the fox. I have a fox visiting my garden at present and now he/she is bringing two little young ones.

Bird said...

Wow, that's mind blowing! I'm used to seeing them a lot at night by us but for you to be able to watch and film from your window while the fox explores your garden is just... enchanting. I am very envious!