The Redwings in particular have been interesting to watch. I know they have been on campus throughout the winter, but it's the first time I've seen them in this particular area of campus. They are feeding about 2 minutes walk away from my university halls with a small group of Blackbirds. They're really easy to approach too, and I've been able to get within about 3 metres of them. I decided to pop out this afternoon with my camera to see if I could get a few photos of them. Although I was able to get really close to these birds, the light this afternoon has been really poor, so getting any decent photos was difficult. It would have been a bit of a missed opportunity not to get any photos though so I'm glad I got a few.



Hopefully they might stick around tomorrow as well and if the light is better, I might go and see if I can get any better photos.
Right, time to finish the work I started earlier in the library and then chill out this evening I think. About 4 weeks left of this term and a few deadlines to meet before then, so it's gonna be quite busy over the next few weeks. Will stop blabbing on now and get on with it! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and wrap up warm :D

3 comments:
I'm still after a Redwing photo here Joe, I also find they are more approachable in late winter :-)
Hi Joe, well done on capturing these Winter visitors. With your interests you have certainly found yourself on a great campus. To see Redwings, Nuthatch and Jays without much 'effort' must be very pleasing :-) I had a Redwing in my garden again this year when the snow was on the ground but it was quite shy and kept to the margins of the garden so what with that snd poor light I couldn't get decent photos.
Hi Warren and Jan,
Warren- Thanks for the comment, yes I think those were the first Redwing photos I have managed as they are usually much more timid. I wonder why they become more approachable as the winter goes on.
Jan- Thank you, they aren't a bird that is easy to photograph all too often. Yes there are a few species which seem to stand out as being more common here than elsewhere which is interesting. Ah well done for seeing a Redwing in your garden. When I've been at home this winter, we've only seen them fly overhead really. We had one in the garden a couple of years back but that winter was particularly harsh which might explain that.
Post a Comment