Friday, 18 January 2013

More snow!

So today in Reading, we got about 4 inches worth of snow throughout the course of the day. All lectures were cancelled about midday, so I've been out most of today with people from my flat enjoying it all. I know I posted some snowy pictures on Monday, but today's snow was much more significant, and with my SLR still off for repairs, I don't really have much opportunity to post anything else. 

I will warn you though, the pictures in this post were taken with my phone camera, so really aren't that good. I have the Nokia Lumia 800, which, as far as phone cameras go, isn't bad, just they don't even get close to comparing with a digital compact or an SLR camera. The colours are pretty dreadful, but hopefully you can get some idea of the extent of the snow today. I didn't really want to take out my compact camera into the snow, and as I've said, my SLR is off for repairs, so this is the best I could do really. 

All photos were taken on the Reading University campus. 





And of course, a day with a lot of snow doesn't pass without snowball fights, which is how most of today with the flatmates was spent. 


The start of a large gathering on the sports fields...


So there you have it, January really has marked the start of the winter properly. For a while I was getting worried that the whole winter was going to pass with the wet and mild weather that we saw throughout December. I hope the snow hasn't caused you too much disruption where you are, and enjoy it whilst you can this weekend! 

I do realise my posts recently haven't really been nature related but I'm really quite limited with what I can post at the moment. Might be back tomorrow with something a bit more interesting, we shall see. Anyway, cheers for reading and have a great weekend :) 

4 comments:

ShySongbird said...

Hi Joe, I can see you've had lots of fun today. Good to know it's not all work and that you get some time to 'play' as well :-) Our second lot of snow started on Thursday afternoon which was much sooner than expected and carried on until late afternoon Friday. It was quite disruptive and we had gridlock for some time locally. I suspect we have more to come!

Any sign of Fieldares, Redwings or Waxwings there?

Joe said...

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the comment, yeah it's been nice to unwind a bit before the work gets a bit full-on in a week or two's time :) Ahh that sounds a bit of a pain, hope it clears for you soon. It hasn't snowed here today yet but may well do at some point tomorrow, we shall see.

And there's lots and lots of Fieldfares and Redwings that can be seen even from my uni room window. Haven't seen any Waxwings yet but shall keep my eyes open for them :)

Stewart said...

Hi Joe, Nice blog you now have a new follower...

Joe said...

Hi Stewart,

Thank you very much, and cheers for following :)