Unfortunately, a bit of bad news on the bird front in our garden recently. About a month ago, we found that the robin nestbox at the end of the garden had fallen off its tree. A pair of robins had built a nest and layed eggs without us even noticing before the box fell off the tree, and the eggs were smashed It really is incredible how secretive the birds must have been to build a nest without us seeing birds enter the box once...
The birds have generally been feeding quite frequently recently, robins included. One of the species which has visited a lot has been the greenfinch, which has been good to see, because over the last 2 or 3 years we have generally seen fewer of them.
The greenfinches have been sharing the feeders very nicely though, and other birds like Blue Tits have been coming in to feed too.
The male blackbirds have been visiting too...
The video below shows a video of a greenfinch and a blue tit feeding together.
Over the last few weeks, I've been having problems loading my posts on blogger, so I've been unable to finally get this post done until now.
4 comments:
Some really lovely photos Joe - looks as if you're doing well with your camera - really sorry about your Robins nest though but as you say they'll have moved house! Miranda
Hi Laura and Miranda,
Laura- Thanks for the comment, I was pleased with how the video came out. And yes, I agree, its a perfect example of the feeding habits of the two birds.
Miranda- Thanks very much for the comment. Yes, I am getting used to using an SLR, and, I am now able to change exposure settings, etc more quickly now if nothing else. Thanks again :)
So sorry to hear about the Robin's nest. I'll bet they went on to nest again. Love seeing all your backyard visitors Joe. :c)
Hi Jayne,
Thanks very much for the comment, yes it was a bit of a shame about the Robin nest, but I guess that's nature. We certainly haven't seen a shortage of young Robins this year though so they must've nested again somewhere else. Thanks again for the comment.
Post a Comment