Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Winter images

Last Friday was supposed to be my last day of school before the Christmas holidays. But I opened my curtains in the morning to see a snow-covered garden. School was cancelled, and I was so glad to be able to have a lie-in. The photo below shows the garden as the sun came up.

It had snowed pretty hard for much of Thursday night here in South-east England, and it was a cold morning on Friday. This cold weather and snow has really attracted a lot of interesting birds to the garden, as well as the usual visitors. We have seen a Great Spotted Woodpecker visit the garden almost daily for the last two weeks, which has been great to see. Also, two Blackcaps have been around, as well as two Redwing, which seem to be very numerous around here at the moment. Last week, we saw a Brambling visit the garden too, which was feeding among the Chaffinches.

Great, Coal, Blue and Long-tailed tits have been visiting in groups, surrounding the feeders. A photo of a Great Tit can be seen below. Still no sign of any roosters in our camera nest box, and actually, I haven't seen any daytime visits either. Hopefully this will pick up into January. I very nearly got a good shot of a Coal Tit in our apricot tree, but it flew away at the moment I was about to press the shutter button on my camera!

Starlings were frequent visitors too, squabbling in numbers over who's turn it was to feed on the fall block. It was great to see a Blackbird look so at home in the garden too, as we didn't really see this in the summer/autumn. The feeders needed topping up frequently during the day. It made me think that it must be hard for a small bird such as a Blue Tit to survive in such cold weather. They really didn't stop feeding all day, showing that it really is important to feed our garden birds at this time of year.

Generally, you would guess that it is our smallest birds which struggle most in the cold winter months, and this is mostly the case. However, I recently learnt that Coal Tits survive surprisingly well despite their tiny size. In the book, "A Field Guide to the Wildlife of the British Isles", by Alice Tomsett, it says, "The Coal Tit survives well in cold weather as it feeds on insects living underneath bark".

Last Sunday, we travelled up to Oldham to see my Grandpa, to find that it had snowed there too! On a walk on the hills of Oldham, it became very difficult to see anything. You'll see what I mean when you see the photo below!

The photo has come out a slightly strange colour, but hopefully you can get an idea as to what it was like there. Because it was so foggy, it was almost impossible to see where the land ended, and the sky started.

The roads were pretty dangerous at this point, as you can see from the photo below.

Back in his garden, the local birds were out in the snow feeding, similarly to how they were at home. A few starlings dropped down onto an arch in the garden, and sat there, waiting for an opportunity to feed. It was great to see so many birds making use of a single feeder that day. The birds which were unable to get a spot on the feeder fed on the ground, eating any fallen seeds from the feeder.

With Christmas just two days away, I wonder how many people in the UK have snowy gardens on Christmas day. I suspect there will still be some in ours. Lastly, if you are travelling over the next couple of days, I hope you all have safe journeys. Have a great Christmas!

8 comments:

Liz said...

Lovely photos!

It's snowed yet again here tonight so I fully expect it to stick around until Friday...

I'm actually really rather frustrated by it, as beautiful as it is, it's a nightmare to get around in and now around here it'll be fresh snow on ice which it going to be very dangerous.
At least it's helped me feel more festive - even if I'm now stressing over it! My first true white christmas if it does stay around until Friday :)

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Ginnymo said...

Nice snowy pics Joe. great bird shots also. Winter is here to stay!! Merry Christmas1

Midmarsh John said...

It is great to see you have so many different visitors to your garden. I keep looking for any newcomers but so far there have only been the regulars, though more of them.

I had hoped something might have used one of the nest boxes as a roost on the really cold nights but so far I haven't spotted anything.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Flowers said...

Nice blog.Enjoying the white Christmas on your blog. It was nice going through your blog.

Goosey said...

Wow, what a good lot of snow you have had. We have not had any in our bit of Dorset...just lethal black ice. Lovely pictures on your blog as always.
I am looking forward to starting a new bird list on the 1st January and getting out to do a bit of bird spotting in the new year! Happy Christmas!

Jayne said...

Lucky you to have a beautiful snowy garden for Christmas!

Shirley said...

Hi there Joe, l loved seeing the snowy pics from your garden. I wonder how much is still left now. We’ll definitely have a snowy garden for Christmas here :-)

Just wanted to stop by and wish you a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2010 to you and your family :-D

Joe said...

Hi Liz, Ginnymo, John, Flowers, Laura, Goosey, Jayne and Shirl. Thank you for all your comments.

Liz- Thank you very much for your comment. I can completely understand how frustrating the snow is. My Dad has been dreading driving around in the ice and snow around Christmas too. All of the snow has gone around here now, so the roads are pretty much clear again- thankfully. Our garden now looks a bit strange without the snow!

Hope you had a great Christmas too, and have a wonderful new year :-)

Ginnymo- Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed these photos. Merry Christmas to you too! Our snow has gone now, but in some ways, I am glad to see our garden back to normal. The roads aren't so dangerous now, as most of the black ice has gone too.

John- Thanks for the comment, yep it has been brilliant to see so many visitors recently. Interesting to hear that your garden isn't quite the same :( Keep looking out for unusual birds though, its very easy to miss them. We saw a Wren last week, and it kept right to the shrubs and trees, so it was very hard to keep up with it!

Hmmm, we haven't seen any nest box visitors either. Similar to you, I would have hoped to see a Blue or Great Tit roosting in our box in the very cold weather. Never mind, maybe we will get birds starting to investigate our nest boxes ready for spring soon!

Have a very happy new year, and I hope you had a great Christmas.

Flowers- Thanks very much for visiting my blog, its great to get some new visitors. Glad you enjoy my blog, and thanks for the comment!

Laura- Thank you! Glad you enjoyed these photos. Even though we have had lots of birds visiting our feeders, it has been hard to get up close to them to take photos of them.

Hope you had a very merry Christmas, and have a great new year.

Goosey- Thanks very much for your comment. Yep, we did get a good lot of snow, almost all of it is gone now though. That black ice really is lethal, hope travelling was ok for you. Happy birdwatching, Christmas, and new year!

Jayne- Yep, we certainly were very lucky to have such a white garden over Christmas. All the snow has gone now, but in some ways, I am glad to see our garden back to normal. The snow and ice on the roads has really been bad.

Shirl- Thanks, glad you liked the photos. We still have a little bit of snow in our garden now, but most of it has gone now.

Thank you, hope you had a great Christmas too, and have a very happy new year! Best wishes to you and your family too.

Looking forward to the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch at the end of January, hopefully we will still have our unusual visitors around at that time! It will be interesting to see what you spot in your garden too :-)