Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Miserable

The title of this post may be depressing, but so has the weather we have had today. Since I left the house for school this morning, it has rained non-stop. It really was horrible. But it was nice to come home today to find a parcel for me.

Before I blab on about what the parcel was, you ought to know this first: Last weekend, we took down our camera nestbox from the wall of our house. I have been planning on moving the box to the end of the garden for some time now and, for several reasons. Firstly, we have plans to build a small kitchen extension on the house next year, and, with our nestbox on the wall of the house, I thought that this could well ruin the chances of our box being used for nesting. The box also needed to have a quick clean-out to remove all wood shavings.

After the photo below was taken, I added a metal protective plate to the hole of the nestbox to prevent it from being damaged by predators.

So, we moved the box to the end of the garden in a pretty well-hidden place in the hope that we might get any roosters for the winter. Trouble is, that the camera cable wasn't long enough to go from the house to the box. This is where the parcel comes in. Phew, glad I got that explaining out of the way. The parcel contained a cable extension. I went outside in the rain after school with the cable extension to connect it all up. It really was wet work.

By the time I was finished, the weather had got worse and it was getting darker, so I was unable to take a photo of the new location of the box. I think I will post again tomorrow with a photo inside and outside the box. Finishing off on a happier note, the forecast for tomorrow is brilliant. Wahay ;)

6 comments:

Midmarsh John said...

Good luck with the camera nest box. I had a Blue Tit shelter in mine a couple of really cold nights last winter. In the spring a pair started to build a nest but abandoned it.

Is that a HandyKam camera? I need to change mine as the present one gives poor pictures.

Suggestion:
If you can get hold of some self amalgamating tape use that over the join in the cable. It's a stretchy tape you stretch and overlap as you wind it on and it bonds to itself making it totally waterproof for years.

Angie Moore said...

Great post Joe. I can't wait to see tomorrow's up date. Good luck.

Ginnymo said...

I know how you feel Joe. It's been raining all day and very windy here. You did a great job so far!!

Jayne said...

Whew... glad you were able to get an extension and get it moved Joe. Now, that's dedication to do it in the rain! :c) Looking forward to seeing if you get any tenants for the winter.

ShySongbird said...

Poor you, working in the garden in the rain, true dedication to the cause...well done Joe!

It was wet here all day yesterday too but today is lovely, hope it is for you too.

I have also left a comment on your previous post :)

Joe said...

Hi John, Angie, Ginnymo, Jayne and Jan:

John- Thanks, I just hope it does get visitors where it is now. I saw the videos of the Blue Tit roosting in your nestbox, it looked very cosy in there so well done :)

Yep, the camera and nestbox were from Handykam. So far, I have been happy with the picture quality, but we haven't really seen much activity yet, so we'll see how it copes if/when there's a nest in the box.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that tape came with the cable extension. You're right, its exactly the right thing for the job

Angie- Thanks, might be tomorrow when I get the chance to do the update now though :(

Ginnymo- Oh dear, bad weather where you are too. It looks as though the weather should be OK for tomorrow around here though :)

Jayne- Thanks for the comment. Yes, I was pretty determined to get that cable connected yesterday. Weather was colder again today, so it might not be long until we see birds looking for somewhere to roost.

Jan- Thank you, yes, I really just wanted to get it all connected, and i'm really happy with the set-up now. With the help of an umbrella, none of the stuff got wet either ;)

Great to here that the weather has been good where you are today, its been the same here. Cloudy tomorrow though apparently :(

Thanks for the comment on my other post, will reply to that as soon as I can :)