


The colour of a spring garden is probably my most favourite part of the plant year. The bright white of the blossom really does stand out. I bet many of you are seeing some colour changes in your gardens too. Maybe not on a tree but in some early flowers, you will be sure to find some interesting colous at this time of year.
The close up picture of the blossom directly above has got to be my favourite. Its often not until you get a close up view like that that you notice the other colours in just one twig of blossom. The reds and greens, browns and pinks are shown too. Some even brighter colour are shown in other flowers in the garden at the moment, notably the Jasmine flower below. They definitely brighten up the shady area of the garden. Hopefully the bees talked about in my last posting will like these flowers too.
The birds are acting very "springy", and many of them are already paired up for the breeding season ahead. As far as I can tell, we seem to have a pair of Robins, Dunnocks, Great Tits and of course the Blue Tits which are currently visiting our camera nestbox. Also seen this morning was an extremely fast chase involving 2 male Greenfinches, possibly fighting over a female or a territory.
The Song Thrush is still visiting the garden, and a quick visit from 2 Long-tailed tits (which could also be in a pair) and a Wren tooking for insects under vegetation on the ground. I wonder if the group of around 5 House Sparrows currently visiting the garden at the moment will nest near our garden again this year. Its all very exciting stuff!I reckon that,since I live in Southern England, the spring action will be a little ahead of northern England and Scottish gardens at the moment, but I wonder what you can see on 1st March 09!
All photos taken in my garden on 1st March 09
6 comments:
Hi Joe,
Another lovely post, those are some nice fat buds on your tree and a lovely pic of the Jasmine flower.
It is so nice to see the colour returning after the severe weather. We have a Daffodil just about out in the sunnier part of the garden.
Hope you enjoyed your half-term break and that the studies go well.
Hi Shysongbird,
Thank you, glad you enjoyed this posting. I must say that I enjoyed taking the photos too. Ah, the Jasmine. It looked so beautiful in the short time of sunlight it gets today that I couldn't resist taking the photo.
We don't have Daffodils in our garden. It would be nice if they seeded themselves there though. Thank you, I did enjoy my half-term. Hope you did too. Thanks for the good luck for my exams. I hope they go well too, and am working hard for them!
Lovely photos, the Jasmine certainly looks nice and cheerful. Be sure to take photos of the Apricot once it explodes, I'm sure it'll look fantastic!
I'm become more excited as the weeks past for Spring and Summer, we have a fair few things flowering at the moment and I've been out taking photos today in the lovely warm sun.
Apricot blossom, I'm impressed, will look forward to seeing the fruit in a later posting
Hi again Joe :-)
Lovely to see spring from your garden! Great shots of the apricot buds, the blossom sounds wonderful. I wonder if it is scented too if so bees will have a great feast :-D
Yes, jasmine does brighten any corner doesn’t, lovely photo again. Ah yes, spring is in the air for the birds as you say. Here in Scotland we are a little behind you but the nestboxes are still getting plenty of visitors and both have roosters too. The camera one has signs of a number of spats with feathers on the floor. I’ve only heard them through my speakers but missed the action.
Great to hear you still have a song thrush visiting. I think ours left but now we have another – it doesn’t appear to know the garden too well and spends time watching me before running off. Shy, this one.
I missed a posting for the 1st but hope to give an update from my garden soon. Saw many more snowdrops at the weekend :-D
Have a great week :-D
Hi Liz, Andrew and Shirl,
Liz- Thank you. I think I will have to take a picture of it in full blossom. Its already starting to come out as I write this, so I'm sure it won't be long until we have a completely white apricot tree!
Good to hear that your garden is springing too. I'd love to see some of those pics!
-----------------------------------
Andrew- Yes, hopefully the blossom will look fantastic when it is in full bloom. I'm not so sure about the fruit though... for the last few years we have had only 6-7 apricots each year. Maybe if we get warmer weather this year, we may get a few more- fingers crossed for that!
-----------------------------------
Shirl- Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. The bees should definitely enjoy the blossom. If I remember rightly, they definitely liked the blossom last year!
I loved to see the Jasmine out already too. Its such a treat to be able to share all these plant photos with you. Your nestbox sounds like its a busy place at the moment. Our camera nestbox has a very interesting story to tell in my next posting, which should hopfully be some time today.
The thrush is still visiting as I type this, and the blackbirds are also enjoying the fat from that feeder too.
Have a good weekend, Shirl
Post a Comment