Sunday, 25 January 2009

RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch 2009

This year the RSPB hosted its 30th Big Garden Birdwatch. This is the first year I have taken part and I must admit that it was great fun. I bet many other wildlife bloggers also took part in the event. I thought I would do this posting to show you what I saw this year. I will first say that I didn't really see anything particularly unusual, but it is the taking part that counts, in my opinion. I haven't got any photos of the event but I have got quite an exciting video clip for you to watch- well, I think so anyway!

I watched the birds for an hour between roughly 09:10- 10:10 yesterday morning. I am yet to enter my results on the RSPB website, but I have my list here. I watched from my bedroom window (where I have the best view of the whole garden). The reason why I couldn't take photos from there is because the feeders are too far from the house for my camera to take close-up photos. Anyway, before I talk for too long, here is my list:

Blackbird x 1
Blue Tit x 3
Chaffinch x 2
Collared Dove x 1
Dunnock x 1
Goldfinch x 5
Greenfinch x 2
House Sparrow x 2
Magpie x 1
Robin x 2
Song Thrush x 1
Starling x 2
Woodpigeon x 4

This gives me a total of 13 species. I don't think this is bad, however, I was a little disappointed not to see a Great Tit or a Coal Tit. They obviously had other things on their minds. I suspect this isn't going to be a particularly great score compared to everyone else, but I guess it depends greatly on the time in which you do it. So, having seen 13 species, I would have been disappointed with my results. However, while I was counting the birds, I, for the first time, captured Blue Tits entering my camera nestbox. Admittedly, they didn't stay long actually inside the box, but I was still chuffed to bits to see it.



Above, I have included one of the two captured videos. There seems to be 2 males fighting over 1 female in our garden at the moment, which is very interesting, and it appears that it is one of the males that has visited the box. I have to say that this constant interest in the nestbox bodes well for the nesting season ahead. Of course it is only January and its early days yet, but as long as these birds keep visiting, I think its likely that they will nest there in spring. Fingers crossed for that!

I have left the video as I captured it for now, so you will find that nothing happens after the Blue Tit has left for around 20-30 seconds. Please stop the video after the Blue Tit leaves the box. I was very surprised with the fantastic quality of the video. Seeing the greyish wood shavings made me think that the colour wouldn't be very good, but I was definitely in for a surprise. I look forward to the nesting season ahead in our nestbox and everybody else who owns a nestbox!

Just before I go, I must congratulate and thank Shirl for her effort organising the Plant Challenge and also to the people who helped spread the word. It was a great event, and I was amazed with the interest it caused. Also, I look forward to seeing other people's results for the Big Garden Birdwatch.

Video taken in my camera nestbox on 24th January 2009

6 comments:

Snowbabies said...

That's a great tally for the garden birdwatch. The quality of that video is excellent, looking forward to seeing more.

Paul.

Anonymous said...

Great video well done! I've left a message on your birdbox blog with some information. I was also wondering, have you ever thought of joining the Wild About Britain forum at http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums it's a great forum, and there are a few other really keen young people of your age on it. You might enjoy it! Jane

Lancashire and Lakeland Outback Adventure Wildlife Safaris said...

Hi Joe

Song thrush! You jammy so 'n so!

Just like Laura I also got C.Crow right at the end

Cheers

Dave

Shirley said...

Hi there Joe :-)

Great species list you had there but I can understand the disappointment of some species not making it in. Ah… but you did get a song thrush! That’s the way it seems to go :-)

Loved seeing the visitor in your nestbox and look forward to seeing more action. We have seen a bit of activity too (with some speculation). I’ll do an update on mine later on in the week.

Thanks, for the mention on the plant challenge Joe – and for taking part too! I was absolutely certain your bluebell wood would attract a number of comments. I added your post into the link list when it came in and I was thrilled to see so many of my garden blogging friends pop by and leave a comment. They really are a great bunch but even so I was still overwhelmed at the response this has had. I am still getting lists and comments yet :-D

Miranda Bell said...

Hi Joe for some reason the video doesn't seem to be loading so I can't comment but good to see all the birds you spotted for the RSPB - shame they don't allow entrants from France as we've had one or two more unusual visitors for here - take a look...

Have a good weekend and will pop back sometime to see if the video is working again.

Miranda

Joe said...

Hi Laura, Paul, Jane, Dave, Shirl and Miranda:

Laura- Thank you. I have the other video ready to post on my nestbox blog- a bit later than I would have hoped.

Good to hear you got involved in the big gardenwatch- some good results there! I was a little disappointed not to see a great tit, but was pleasantly surpried to see the Song Thrush. I guess it mostly depends on the time you watch them.

-----------------------------------

Paul- Glad to hear that you enjoyed the video. I have more to come soon. Yes, I was quite happy with my birdwatch results, and was surprised to see the Song Thrush.

-----------------------------------

Jane- Thank you. I thought you might like it. I have seen the comment on my nestbox blog. Thanks for the idea. I have downloaded the trial of "Crimecatcher" and have already captured one Blue Tit visit while I wasn't in the room. I have also checked out the Wildaboutbritain forum. It looks great. It looks exactly my kind of thing so thanks for letting me know. I will definitely use it in the future. Thanks again!

-----------------------------------

Dave- Good to hear that you took part in the birdwatch. So many people took part this year. We almost never get crows in our garden, so that would have been a good sighting for me. However, I was chuffed to see the Song Thrush. It visited again btw.
Thanks again

-----------------------------------

Shirl- Thank you! Your list was quite impressive too. The Song Thrush sighting has to be my highlight. I have seen your recent posting about the thrush, and the photos were fantastic.

Nice to hear that you liked that video. I have some more to post very soon, with yet another visit to the box.

Yes, the plant challenge was so popular. I was chuffed with the response I got too. It must have taken you ages to reply to all those comments!

-----------------------------------

Miranda- Sorry to hear that the vid isn't working for you. I had some difficulties loading it myself earlier. I have another video to post on the nestbox soon anyway, so hopefully you will be able to see that one. I think there should be a birdwatch for France too.