Monday, 10 November 2008

Sunday birdless gardenwatch

Firstly I would like to say that I did realise that it isn't Sunday today... just! I would also like to say that I am exaggerating a little when I say that the garden was birdless. So actually the title for this post is a little misleading-never mind! There were a few around but the feeders weren't exactly filled with birds. I am happy to say that our main feeder has been half-emptied today. Just my luck that its Monday, I missed the action while I was at school and it was nearly dark by the time I had got home. Nevertheless I saw enough yesterday to post about and enjoyed going outside to look for the birds for a change.

So, why were our feeders quieter yesterday. As Shirl correctly mentioned in her wildlife blog, it is probably due to the more mild weather we had then. Today, it was absoloutely freezing, and low feeder levels matched this dip in temperature. Tiny Coal Tits were a feature in our garden yesterday. I talked about these last week too but I must say that I couldn't resist talking of them again. Blue Tits and Great Tits were also present in numbers but the Coal Tit is a bird that is a bit rarer and more fun to photo.


The Dunnock is a bird that will visit when every other bird isn't around. In fact, I think they prefer visiting the quiet feeders. There were 4 of them at the end of our garden and they flit in and out of cover. They are quite shy, but as long as you are careful, they allow you to go nearer to them. I find that they tend to prefer the seed mixture that we have in one of the feeders and the bird table.

There weren't many of the usual dominant Greenfinches or Chaffinches, so it gave an opportunity for the smaller birds to come in and feed. The Dunnocks don't tend to feed on the fat feeders but some of the others have been very busy feeding. Coal Tits, Blue Tits and Robins have been taking food from them. In the winter I find that it is important to provide some high-calorie foods that will help the birds keep their energy levels up through the cold winter months.


Its interesting to see what has been going on in Shirl's garden. The chaffinches she saw yesterday weren't in our garden in such large numbers but I'd love to see them in our garden this weekend. Although our feeders were quiet yesterday, the Jay has visited again. Every time it comes, it gets closer to our bird table. Fingers crossed that I will see it again soon. The Blackbirds aren't really feeding on our lawn as much as last year but there are definately more of them around. They have been in numbers in bushes either side of our garden.

All photos taken in my garden on 9/11/08

8 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hi Joe, you have some pretty good photos of birds that frequent your garden. I have a terrible time trying for pictures. When I shoot through the window the quality is horrible and when I am outside they won't allow me to get close enough. Booooooo

Your Coal Tits are so like our Carolina Chickadee. I will try for a picture to show you for comparison.

Shirley said...

Hi there Joe :-)

It's great to see how our gardens differ between our areas in England and Scotland. The temperature differences will most likely to be the biggest and as such we are likely to get different species too. The usual suspects like the blue/great/coal tits etc will be common but it will also be interesting to compare numbers especially through the winter months.

Have you seen any activity at your nestbox yet? We are still getting blue tits at ours.

Hope you are not having as cold and windy weather as we have had today. Have a good week :-D

David said...

Hey Joe, love your blog. I'm in the US and I've enjoyed seeing some new birds!

Cheryl said...

Hi Joe.....this is a wonderful blog you have.....I wished I had popped over before.....
you did well to get the Dunnock photograph...one of my favourite birds.....
and the coal tit, as you say quite rare.....I have never seen one here......
keep up the wonderful blog.....I am thrilled to see someone of your age adding such a lot to wildlife blogging.....tku for sharing with us.......

Cheryl said...

Me again....just had to tell you Joe I to have a railway at the bottom of my garden.....and you are right they are teaming with wildlife....great eh??

Joe said...

Hi everyone and thank you for your kind responses,

Lisa: Thank you. The Coal Tit is such a hard bird to photo because they are so fast. Luckily they visit quite often which gives me the opportunity to photo them.

I know what you mean about the window. I tried to take a picture of a House Sparrow through the window recently and the picture was all washed out. Hmmm... I have seen pictures of the Carolina Chickadee. Interesting to see the similarities between it and our Coal Tit.

Thanks, Joe

-----------------------------------

Shirl: Yes, our gardens are certainly very different. The trees and habitats are vastly different.

Yes, the species are definately different. I have seen videos of Siskins in your garden, but there aren't any in Southern England. We had Blue Tits having a look inside our terrace nestbox in early October, but nothing as far as I am aware since then. I hope we get another pair nesting there next year.

Thanks, Joe

-----------------------------------

David: Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Yes its interesting to look at birds from other countries and compare them with the native ones isn't it?

Thanks again, Joe

-----------------------------------

Hi Cheryl: Thank you! Ah, the Dunnock is one of my faves too. So very shy though. I like to think that other people of my age are into wildlife as much as I am.

Yes, I have seen foxes along the railway banks. Glad to hear that you have a railway at the end of your garden too!

Thanks again, Joe

ShySongbird said...

Hi Joe,

Another lovely post and more great photos. I would love to see a Jay in the garden but never have. Also on my garden wish list is the Goldcrest and the Great Spotted Woodpecker both of which I know you have seen in your garden. Never say never though as last winter we had Bramblings visiting for many weeks and for a few days we had Siskins. We are on the edge of the Cotswolds so would not have expected to see them this far south. Btw I sent you an email about two weeks ago accepting your very kind offer to send me your beautiful Robin photo, I know you are very busy with your studies etc so please forgive me if you haven't had time to reply yet, but it has occurred to me that your email link may be faulty and my email may not have reached you.

Joe said...

Hi Shysongbird,

Thank you! Photography does get addictive. I was very pleased to see the Jay, but I must admit that I haven't seen it since, so I hope it comes back. We have had Bramblings too, but only last year. They look very similar to the Chaffinch so we weren't sure of the ID at first. I have never been lucky enough to see a siskin. Sounds like you were surprised to see one!

I have replied to the email now (sorry I haven't replied earlier) and have attached the photo plus another one I thought you might like.

Have a good weekend :-)
Joe