I went down to the south coast last Friday and Saturday, and we spent a day around the Titchfield Haven nature reserve. We fed the ducks for a while, off the top of a bridge. They were very hungry, so it was a good job we had quite a lot of duck seed. The image below shows 2 female Tufted Ducks. They are less tame than the greedy Mallards, and took less of the food too. The reserve is marshy, and has a wide variety of birds. Unfortunately, we didn't have the chance to go around properly.

But as we were feeding the ducks, my dad spotted something swimming across the water that I thought was an eel at first (I am new to waterlife). But it was in fact a Grass Snake. My face was probably hysterical when I saw it and was trying to get my camera out frantically. I did just manage to get a picture of it before it swam annoyingly into the reeds. The strange thing was that the ducks followed the snake in the water. Maybe it was safety in numbers! The picture is quite blurred, and you can only just see the snake swimming in the murky water. At the time we didn't know what it was, but after looking in a wildlife book in the visitor centre, we concluded that it was a Grass Snake. If you look carefully, the snake is in the middle of the picture. 

No comments:
Post a Comment